Saturday, June 14, 2014

56 Days and Counting

     About 150 days ago, I ran out to my mailbox to grab a letter from North Star Rotary Youth Exchange. I ran into my kitchen and tore open the envelope. "Congratulations! We are pleased and excited to extend an invitation for you to become a North Star Rotary Youth Exchanged ambassador." Seeing these twenty one words brought tears to my eyes. I was suddenly filled with energy, excitement, and joy. I started jumping and running around my house. After the first couple laps, I realized I hadn't looked at which country I was going to. I ran back and continued reading the letter. A paragraph after the "Congratulations," I saw Faroe Islands. Instantly, my excitement doubled; the Faroes were my top choice. Tears of joy streamed from my cheeks. Next, I called my mom, my dad, my best friend, and my brother to share the amazing news. Then came the obligatory Facebook post, which in my excitement turned into a Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram post. 
     Now here I am; 56 days until departure and excitement still unchanged. Over the past six months, I have read various articles, scrolled through countless blogs, and watched hundreds of YouTube videos. I have been attempting to learn Faroese and I have created a stockpile of warm clothing.
Take off can't come soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment