Saturday, August 9, 2014

Leaving

     I’m not a nervous flyer and luckily I’m not flying Malaysian Airlines, but when three fully dressed police officers start coming down the aisle on your plane, thoughts of explosives and mass destruction come to mind. Thankfully this was not the case; instead someone had dropped their suitcase on their head while trying to put it in the overhead compartment and required medical attention. The next eight hours went by rather uneventfully. 
     When I stepped off the plane, my first mistake was believing that the airport would be set up as neatly as MSP. I cannot even begin to tell you how wrong I was. The signs are all bright yellow, the food stands hide the gates ad there are gates on different floors. My second mistake was thinking it would be a good idea to change in the restroom. Dutch bathroom stalls are half the size of American ones. I got fully changed but it was not without many difficulties.With three hours left on my layover I had time to walk around and find some interesting Dutch food. After settling down in a comfy little chair, a young Swedish woman asks me if I was travelling alone. I ended up talking to her for about an hour. She had just graduated from Gymnasium and was going to France. I said goodbye and headed to my gate. Waiting there were five Brazilian exchange students going to the same area in Denmark as I am. I can already tell that these guys are going to be my friends in this coming year.
     From Amsterdam to Aalborg my seatmate was an older gentleman returning home from a business trip. He started speaking to me in Danish and I confidently responded in Danish only to say that my Danish is not up to par. Regardless we spent a good chunk of the flight in conversation about Minnesota and Denmark. The rest I spent peering out the window trying to catch a glimpse of my new home.
     My counselor, Alice, and her husband, Peter, picked me up at the airport. I will be living at their house until Saturday the 16th, when I will move in with my first host family.
     I have been here for less than 24 hours and I am in love with this country..

Vi Ses Minnesota!

Jordbær Kage




No comments:

Post a Comment