Thursday, December 11, 2014

Hygge

As an exchange student to Denmark, I am constantly bombarded by people trying to explain the word "hygge" to me. After the first few explanations, I had a pretty good idea of what it meant. But not wanting to be rude, I listen over and over again to Danes explaining it without interrupting. While I have started to get annoyed with these explanations, I find myself dropping "hygge" into conversations with not Danish people, with the chance that I will be asked to explain it. As a warning, the majority of this blogpost is going to be dedicated to hygge.

Hygge (pronounced hooga) has no direct translation into English, but I don't think it was meant to be translated. It was meant to be felt. However, if you did want to translate it, the closest words are probably cozy and snug, but it is far more than that. It is a combination of so many things; happiness, warmth, candles, friends and family, comfort, glow, and love. Hygge is getting coffee with friends in a cute little cafe. Hygge is being curled up on the couch, with a cup of tea, watching juleklejner (Danish Christmas program that airs every night). Hygge is walking through the streets that are illuminated by the soft glow of the Christmas lights dangling overhead. All of my examples are related to Christmas, but that is because that is what is on my mind and is most relevant to me right now. However, hygge can be felt any time of year.

As for an update of my last few weekends, I have spent them in Viborg and that is perfectly okay. Two weekends ago, I went to an art museum in Silkeborg and spent the rest of the weekend curled up in my bed watching Netflix. This past weekend, Claire and Sophie came to visit on Friday and we went to my school party. Saturday morning, we met up with Danny and walked around Viborg. After they left, I went home and did some Christmas baking with my host family. Around eight, I was picked up by my Danish friend (who came to MN on exchange) and my third host sister and we had a very hygge night watching Venner (Friends) and eating æbleskiver. Sunday I went Christmas shopping with Signe, then spent the rest of the day at home. It has been a very relaxing few weeks, and for that I am thankful.

Another major announcement, I am committing to the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. The process of actually deciding this has been very difficult, and chalked full of mental breakdowns. It just reminds me that I have to leave this beautiful country that I now call home, and that I have to actually study for something again.


Farvel for nu!

Tusind tak Mor for this amazing care package!


Christmas Baking: Pebernødder


"Merry Christmas"


Lights in Viborg.


No comments:

Post a Comment