Monday, February 16, 2015

Vinterferie

As I mentioned in my last post, this past week I had an entire week off of school for Vinterferie, or winter holiday. While I didn't go on any crazy adventures, or do something extraordinarily blog worthy, I had a very good break. Among the things I did was:

  • Celebrated with my class for their completion of SRO, a huge math/chemistry/physics assignment that I luckily did not have to do.
  • Helped make and devour burgers with my host family.
  • Followed by making real American pancakes the next morning.
  • Enjoyed the 45 degree Fahrenheit (stupid Americans) weather by taking a walk along the Limfjord that runs through my back yard.
  • Had my first dream in Danish.
  • Had dinner with my counselor then went and saw the Imitation Game. Sidebar: I've gotten really interested in WWII and its effects on Denmark lately.
  • Helped (mostly watched) Claire make sloppy joes and other American foods for a dinner with her host families.
  • Visited the house of Hans Christian Andersen and got a nice tour of Odense.
  • Was taken on a tour of the Aarhus Domkirke (cathedral) by my host mom. Because she is a priest, she was able to give me some really interesting information about it. I have been to quite a few churches here but this one is by far my favorite.
  • Had a sleepover with the girls in my class and found out that when they say "mexican pancakes" they actually mean tacos. I laughed pretty hard at this one.
  • Wore my Australian flag onesie to a fastelavn party. I was the only person over ten wearing a costume. Exchange student probs.
Not listed: the countless naps I took and the almost full season of Dexter I watched. Break well spent.

I am not sure on the coverage being shown in the US but Saturday there was a shooting in Copenhagen targeting activists working with Freedom of Speech and other minority groups. Living on the Jutland and being from a country where seeing shootings on the news is completely normal, I didn't feel threatened or shocked about what happened. On the other end, the Danes that I talked to were shocked, grieving, and scared. Being in one of the happiest and safest countries on the planet, having something so serious hit close to home, took a toll on them. My thoughts go out to all those affected and I can only hope nothing of the sort will happen again.
Vi er Danmark.
We are Denmark.
From my stroll on the Limfjord.


Aarhus Domkirke.


Forever wishing I was Australian.


Fastelavn! Magnus the polar bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment