Monday, October 20, 2014

Efterårsferie

This past week, Denmark went on Efterårsferie, which directly translates to "Autumn Holiday." It is a week long break where most people take time to travel around Denmark or go to neighboring countries. Unlike in the United States, the entire country coordinated this week and therefore I didn't have language school, or any other obligations. This gave me a lot of time to do whatever I pleased.

Friday: My holiday started right after school as I took a bus to visit some of my exchange student friends in Aalborg. We spent the night walking around the city, eating french fries, and sitting at the harbor.

Saturday: After sleeping in, Danielle and I went shopping in Aalborg. Although I didn't end up buying anything, it was a lot of fun. We went back to Danielle's house and watched as her host parents made Calzones. The rest of the night was spent watching Netflix and just hanging out.

Sunday: On the bus ride home, I was surprised to see that along with the other passengers, there were four dogs on the bus. I love dogs, so for me this was fine, but a few of the non-dog-loving passengers looked moderately annoyed. When I got home, I took a shower and slept for the rest of the day, only waking up for dinner.

Monday: Signe, Rasmus, and I had a very slow start to our day - being that no one was awake before 10 o clock. But once we were all up, I took it upon myself to make pancakes. I can truthfully say that they were not the best pancakes I have ever made; but Signe and Rasmus loved them. We all got ready and headed into Viborg to do some thrift shopping and walking around. We were down there for a few hours before we decided that we were starving. For whatever reason, we could not decide if we wanted to get kebabs or go to McDonald's so e got both. We returned home just after 4, and I was shortly out the door again to go to my Colombian friends house to watch horror movies and carve pumpkins.
Pancake stack.

The result of an hour of hard work.

Can you tell I've done this before?



Tuesday: Another slow start, but no fancy breakfast this time. At 12:30, I took the bus in to Viborg to meet Emilie, a friend from my class. We had lunch and did some shopping, I ended up buying a skirt, which I love but don't need. Around 4, she had to go to riding school so I walked to my counselors house to have dinner. Normally, I would have stayed to watch a movie, or in this case the Denmark vs. Portugal game, but I needed to get home to pack my bags for Germany.

Wednesday: My host family and I took off bright and early to take a mini vacation to Germany. It was a four hour drive, and I fell asleep almost as soon as we got out of the driveway. Luckily, I woke up a few minutes before we were going to cross the border into Germany. I was thoroughly disappointed when there wasn't someone to stamp my passport, or even a sign that says "Willkommen in Deutschland." I can honestly tell you that crossing into Wisconsin in more exciting. The first thing we did was visit a border shop, which is basically a warehouse lined with various confections and beverages whose prices aren't inflated with the high Danish taxes. Needless to say, we left with a trunk full of Nutella, candy, and cases of pop. For lunch we stopped at a food stand, I had Currywurst. It is hard to describe but it is a sausage cut up with sauce and curry powder on it. I loved it! We resumed driving and stopped about an hour later at a luxury outlet mall. We spent a few hours wandering through the shops, then finally made our way to the hotel. Dinner was at the hotel buffet and after, everyone else was pretty tired so Signe and I were left to explore the hotel. We discovered that there were two saunas, and went down to take advantage of them. Unfortunately for us, there was a naked, old man sitting in the first one, so we bolted into the second one, which happened to be a "Finnish Sauna." This meant that it got up to 90 degrees Celsius, and if the conversion app I have on my phone is correct, 194 degrees Fahrenheit. We sat in there for five minutes before deciding that being able to breathe easily was more important than forcing ourselves to sweat. Upon returning to the rooms and showering, we fell asleep almost immediately.

Currywurst.


Thursday: Our day started at the continental breakfast provided by the hotel. This was probably the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. Unlike in the United States, they actually give you real food; there was bacon, eggs, and my personal favorite, breakfast cake. It felt as if I waddled away from the breakfast table. Shortly after breakfast, we made the half an hour drive to Lübeck, which is listed as a World Heritage Cite. It truly was a gorgeous city, it felt as if I was stepping back into medieval times. We did some more shopping before visiting the Marzipan museum. I was told that there would be a statue of Pope Benedict made out of marzipan, but that was taken away when Pope Francis took over. There were other marzipan people, but none as exciting as seeing the old Pope. After leaving the museum, Signe, Rasmus, and I took off in search of doners. Thinking they would be some kind of German sausage and sauerkraut, I was not disappointed when it turned out to be a Turkish sandwich with lamb, tzatziki sauce, an orange sauce, and lettuce. We did a little bit more shopping, before stopping to get treat at the shop attached to the Marzipan Museum, then headed back to the hotel. Even more tired than Wednesday, we had dinner and took off to our rooms for some much need rest and relaxation.
Marzipan Pigs.

Doner and Lübeck Towers.

The River Trave.

The medieval gate to the city.


Friday: We had the continental breakfast again, but this time I stayed away from the cake, and opted for healthier options. Shortly after we were back on our way to Denmark, and I slept the majority of the journey, waking to stop in a border shop. We got back around three then spent the rest of the day lounging around.

Saturday: My host parents took off early for a weekend vacation to Fynn. Shortly after them, Rasmus left to return to his apartment in Aalborg. This left Signe and I home alone. Having a soccer game, but no one to drive me, I hopped on my bike to ride the 8.7 kilometers it takes to get to the field. Only getting lost three or four times, I was pretty impressed with myself. It was the last game of the outdoor season, and if we won we would be ranked first. It was a good game, but we ended up losing 3:4. I biked the 8.7 kilometers home without getting lost. My plan was to shower and get ready then FaceTime my best friend back home. Unfortunately, I had miscalculated the time difference, so I ended up video calling her with muddy legs and a sweaty face (sorry Brittany). For dinner I made fried noodles, then made another video call, but this time to my mom. I realize that I should spread out my calls home, but this was the first time in a while that my schedule and the people back home's schedule coincided. After hanging up on my mom, Signe and I spent the night watching American Pie and eating junk food.

No street signs and only this to guide me.


Sunday: Like most other Sunday's, this one wasn't very productive; I left the house once to go put some papers in the recycling and I never actually changed out of my pajamas.

I apologize for the excessively long blogpost, but it only seemed fitting with everything that happened in this past week. Vi ses!

No comments:

Post a Comment