Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Spørgsmål

Obviously throughout my exchange I have received various questions regarding my thoughts on Denmark and the differences, as well as questions about the American system and stereotypes. Over the past week, it has felt like I have been bombarded with copious amounts of questions that I haven't thought out a definite answer for. Therefore, this blogpost is dedicated to trying to sort out my mental confusion and answer these questions.

Q: What is your favorite thing about Denmark?
I don't have one specific thing; and for the most part, I love everything. I would have to say that one of my favorite things is that there is cake everywhere you go. It is inescapable. My waist isn't very thankful, but I am. I love that Denmark gets a large chunk of its energy from solar and wind power. This means that there are windmills everywhere; they even have windmill farms a few kilometers just off the coast. I love how there is a mixture of old and new architecture everywhere. I love taking trains (not so much busses). I love the people. They may come off as cold, but once getting to know them, they are the nicest people you will ever meet (especially Rikke).

Q: Is there anything you don't like about Denmark?
I don't like the copious number of people my age who smoke cigarettes. Unlike in the United States, it is legal to smoke indoors, with discretion of the business. It feels like I can't go anywhere without coming back smelling like a bowling alley before smoking indoors was prohibited.

Q: What do you think about Danish food?
A typical Danish meal consists of white meat, vegetables and potatoes. After the first few weeks, I was ready to never see a potato again. Luckily, the host family I am with right now has sworn off potatoes so for the next few months I get to avoid those balls of carbs. Other than the potatoes and while I do crave dark meat, I love Danish food. My favorites are frikkadella and Danish hot dogs. I also love the fresh, homemade bread. I am not quite sure how I ever survived on the the white "junk food" bread that we eat in the US. I am also concerned about what I am going to do without remoulade (Danish yellow mayo mixed with deliciousness along with other stuff).

Q: What are weird things Danes do?
They gasp to let you know they are listening. At first, I was really taken aback by it; I constantly felt like they were trying to interject a comment or were shocked by what I was saying, but now I am so used to it I hardly even notice anymore. They also clap in unison instead of everyone clapping at their own rhythm. One of my friends described it as "cult like" but I don't think it is that bad.

Q:Has living in Denmark changed your views of the United States?
Anyone who has ever lived abroad will tell you that they see their nation completely differently. Being here, I have realized that the majority of the things happening in the US (school shootings, paying for healthcare, gun laws, ect.) are not happening in any other developed nation. It is astonishing how far behind we are. I still love my country and I am proud to be an American, but we need reform and we need it now.

Q:What do you miss most from home?
I miss my car and the food. If I had a car here and was able to drive freely, I would truly be unstoppable. I am also really craving Hogan Brothers and a big burrito from Chipotle. I miss all of you guys too but I think I would be happier to see a steaming bowl of beer cheese soup and a hoagie (only joking).

Those are all the questions I can think of so if you have more feel free to contact me. Other than that the past few weeks have been me doing little things. Claire slept over Saturday night and my host family made us Vietnamese spring rolls and homemade ice cream. Probably the best ice cream I have every had. The next morning we went to the Welcome Meeting to properly greet the newbie. It was a repeat of our Welcome Meeting so reviewing the rules, learning about sailing trip, then being left to do whatever we wanted. I also got confirmation that I have been approved to go to London with my class. I am so excited for this trip! We get a lot of free time in the evenings so a group of us bought tickets to see West Ham play Chelsea! SO EXCITED.
Vi ses!

Magnus og jeg.


My beautiful little fjord.


Velkomme møde.


Check out those blazers.


No comments:

Post a Comment