Sunday, June 21, 2015

Sejltur

Although this was over a week ago, it feels like sailing tour ended just yesterday. Sailing tour was very different from any trip I have ever taken for a couple of reasons: A. we were on a historical, and protected sail boat B. there were thirty some of us, living in very tight quarters (two bathrooms, triple bunk beds with about two feet in between), and C. we were responsible for doing everything; cooking, cleaning, sailing. Obviously we had some direction but we were told on the first day "the exchange students are the crew and everyone else is a guest." The boats we were sailing on were LOA and the Jens Krouch. We were too many people so we had to separate. I was on LOA but the Jens Krouch had around twelve people and no climbing towers.

On the first day we were divided into three teams of around ten people and were given a schedule so there would always be a team on free time, with work duty or on deck sailing. Working meant cleaning the ship, or cooking the next meal. There was a chef watching over us so we wouldn't screw anything up but the food was always delicious - one night we had Danish Christmas food for dinner. While you were on free time, most people would nap or hang out but I would normally choose to spend my time on deck because I loved sailing so much. Most of the other girls didn't want to do as much work so I was normally needed out there anyways. The ship had six square sails and four triangle sails. To get out to the sails, you would need to climb up one of the towers. You were only secured when you were sitting on one of the platforms or working out on the masts, but not while climbing. It was terrifying the first few times I climbed up because the ladder is made of rope so it moves with the waves and shakes in the wind. At the top of the ladder, you switch directions in climbing so you are now are climbing at a sixty degree angle (if that makes sense). The footholds at the top are no bigger than three inches across so there is very little space or room for error. When you walk out on the masts, you are secured but you're walking on a rope with your belly laying over the mast. Now imagine pulling the sails up and down in this position, only moderately terrifying. The triangle sails were on the front spire so to get out there you also had to walk on ropes. When you were looking down, it looked like you were simply just walking on water. I got myself through all of this by telling myself that if I fell, I would just get to go swimming, another thing that I love to do. There were a few times when we stopped for swimming breaks. The water in limfjorden streams in through the North Atlantic so it is next to freezing. Being brave (and from Minnesota) I would spend about twenty minutes in the water each time. Most people would jump in, swim to the ladder and get right back out. One of our team leaders climbed out to the first mast and jumped from there.

Every day, three people would have to spend the day off the boat because of space reasons. It was a random selection so when my name was called, I almost cried, I didn't want to get off the boat. Regardless, the day was spent in Thisted, laying in the sun and then seeing the city. We went to Cold Hawaii, which is this beach where they hold different surfing championships. When we pulled into the harbor at the end of the day, I was so happy to see LOA (the ship) just docking. I immediately hopped on and helped set buoys and put the ladder out.

The last day Rotary held a graduation ceremony for us. At the end of it I was crying because this was the last time I was going to see my exchange student family all together again. It was hard to say goodbye to everyone, not knowing who I would and wouldn't see again. I can tell you I already miss all of them.

Blæsten går frisk over Limfjordens vande // The wind is fresh over the Limjords water

I wish I had better pictures to show the ship.

There are two more square sails at the top of that tower.

Group pic in our blazers.

Topless tour.

We made the newspaper!


No comments:

Post a Comment