Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Halvtres Dage

My 50th day in Denmark has come and passed. While this should feel like a major milestone, counting the days simply reminds my that my days here are limited. There are a few other days that I will make note of, but I think that I'm going to let the days pass without giving them numbers.

Last weekend, there was a district 1440 conference. Essentially, the exchange students hung out all day while the important people from all the Rotary clubs in the northern part of the Jutland listened to presentations and voted on things. I am a little surprised that no one left on a stretcher. At one point, thirty exchange students were playing bumper cars with rolley chairs. This went on for about half an hour until one of the people leading us took notice and forced us to go for a walk. Regardless, it was an amazing day and it was great to see people I hadn't seen since intro camp.

I played in my first soccer game ! The majority of the game I was a forward. Never having played forward before, I felt a little out of place. My coach didn't think so and I ended up scoring our first goal. I caused the majority of the fouls; to me it felt like strict reffing, but talking to my teammates afterwards, they thought I was playing aggressively. Apparently, Danish soccer isn't as rough as Minnesotan soccer. This isn't going to stop me from hip-swinging and taking girls out. We tied the game 2:2, but I am so happy that I got to play. My next game is on Saturday, so fight, kick, kill ladies.

This weekend was also my host sisters birthday party, so on Sunday we all got up early and prepared a brunch for fourteen of her friends. Signe and I were given the task of cutting up fruit; I started with the watermelon, but she saw the pineapple and decided that we needed to switch. Never having cut up a pineapple before, I was determined to do it right. My host family laughed at me as I googled and watched YouTube tutorials to figure out where to start. A few sarcastic remarks and melodramatic sighs later, the pineapple was cut perfectly and then devoured. Although it isn't a major event, this pineapple gave me a lot of laughs and good memory, therefore making it blog-worthy.

To say that an exchange is entirely full of happy times and excitement, would be a lie. For example, I took the wrong bus home, had to wait an hour at a bus stop 30 kilometers from where I needed to be, and completely lost it in the bus station. Luckily, no one but the passing cars could see my mental snap. By the time my bus came, my mental breakdown was over and I got home without problem. Furthermore, I have had minor bouts of homesickness. It's a hard feeling to describe but essentially its a yearning for something that is unattainable. Overcoming these moments usually involves an overindulgence of chocolate and a quick nap. Even with these little moments, leaving this country early has never crossed my mind.
Farvel for nu!

At the District Conference we had to paint signs that represent our countries. 
GOBAMA.


Dinner Party with some of the girls in my class. Very hygge.


Artwork at NB Gallery in Viborg,


Cutting up the pineapple.
Exchange students at VK.
Nationalities Represented: American, Colombian, German, and Italian.


Viborg from above.



No comments:

Post a Comment